Saturday 16 May 2009

ENTREPRENUERSHIP

I only became conscious of the word ENTREPRENEURSHIP in 2004, when I got my first job with a non-governmental organization after four years of hunting. The name of the NGO is FATE Foundation. The establishment caters for the entrepreneurial skill acquisition need of young graduates and non-graduates alike.

At FATE Foundation, participants are thought how to do business in the most modern way, applying the global business principles learnt as a student of the establishment.

I also volunteered with another NGO called JUNIOR ACHIEVEMENT NIGERIA. This is an NGO that teaches young people in secondary schools to have commercial skills and to learn how to produce and market simple products like candles, soap, cake, chim-chim, gums, envelopes, baskets, brooms etc. These skills are things they are taught to learn alongside their usual academic work.

Some of the things I learnt from these two NGOs that I have worked with can be itemized below as follows:
A Child should be taught how to start a business at an early age in their life.
A child should be guided to learn how to save money at an early age
A child should be taught how to effectively combine two or more things, i.e. commerce or craft and normal studies in school.
The mind of a child should be kept productive and busy. This also implies that that the child can be kept away from bad company and lazy people.
A child, either male or female should be treated as an asset, not a liability to the parents.
I also learnt that there are lots of businesses to do, to the extent that it is impossible for anyone to say that he or she is jobless in any given day.
I learnt that pride is a big enemy of entrepreneurship. This is so because an entrepreneur must learn how to be disciplined and pride breeds indiscipline.
I was meant to learn that it is wise for us to have a list of commodities people will always need from time to time and learn how we can produce and market them.
I learnt that you are capable of doing anything only if you think you can.
I was taught that a creative mind is a terrible thing to waste.
I also learnt that whatsoever thing is conceivable is achievable.

Let every Nigerian today, old or young, learn how to produce something and become an ENTREPRENEUR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home